Oh no. It’s already the end of May. Those resolutions we made back in January to [finally] get back into a bikini or speedo this summer? Gone. That second attempt we made back in March to start a “real” fitness program to get in “the best shape of my life” before June? History. Summer is here, folks. And beaches and pools everywhere are calling.
Don’t stress out. There’s still time to get – and stay – in great shape this summer, and stay that way for the rest of the year.
Summer is the perfect time to recharge your fitness life and change your body. Bathing suit motivation aside, this 3-month slice of warmer weather provides ample opportunity for increased outdoor physical fitness.
Here are a few ideas to help create your own summertime fitness plan, whether you’re a Riverside member or not.
- Get Outside and PLAY! Getting fit doesn’t mean you have to go it alone. Plan some social activities that involve movement. Invite friends and their kids to the beach or your backyard for a volleyball game. Sign up for a road race or charity walk and meet up with friends to train for it each week. Plan some hikes in the woods with your family to stay cool and shaded. See how you can combine your social calendar with your fitness schedule!
- Join Merrill CrossFit. We have the best fitness program available world wide right here at Riverside Athletic Club. Our OnRamp program starts on June 1 and there is still time to sign up. This is a great way to get introduced to CrossFit and get your body moving and grooving! Call 715-536-2481 to sign up today!
- Join a team. Watching the World Cup always makes me want to play soccer. How about you? Is there a sport you want to play again – or try for the first time? See if there’s a league in your community that starts this fall. Make it a goal to get ready for it over the summer. Training for a sport will motivate you to get in shape during the summer, and playing that sport extends your fitness plan into the fall and beyond.
- Short workouts, 3 times per week. Now’s the time, Riverside members, to recommit to your Riverside’s workout plan. We have trainers on hand to sit down with you and formulate a plan for your fitness journey! Don’t have a Riverside membership? Not a problem. We have a 3 month membership special right now! Join for 3 months for just $149!
- Drink more water. No matter how you stay active, keep water with you at all times and drink throughout the day. Water helps you “flush” (pun intended) your system of toxins and stay ever-hydrated for increased physical activity. It also helps to curb your appetite.
- Eat better during the week. Summer weekends are full of temptations in the form of sugary cocktails, backyard barbecues and high-calorie treats like ice cream. Try to get ahead of them by eating smarter during the week. Consume more lean proteins, like grilled chicken or fish, and lots of greens and other veggies. Look for fruit to silence your sweet tooth. Eating healthier during the week will allow you to splurge a bit on the weekends.
So, don’t worry if you’re not in the “best summer shape ever” yet. Always remember that being fit is a journey, not a destination. And summer is a great time to start that journey, whether you go it alone or bring your kids, friends and others along for the ride. There is still lots of summertime left, so make it a fit and enjoyable one!